Careers and Internships
The General Science curriculum requires basic mastery of several sciences beyond the introductory level. It is this breadth that makes the major an ideal choice for students interested in health-related careers such as medicine, dentistry, physical therapy, nursing, medical technology, etc. The major works well to provide a broad scientific background for students interested in engineering and other science careers. General science can also provide a strong background for certain teacher education licensure programs. Students interested in teaching science in middle school and junior high school should be aware that the integrated science endorsement requires broader preparation than the minimum requirements for the general science major. The College of Education offers a fifth-year program for middle-secondary teaching licensure in science; See the “General Science” section of the Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics or Integrated) page to find pre-requisites for this program.
Internships offer students the ability to explore specific types of employment and enrich their learning. Interns can gain valuable field experience, learn about themselves, learn more about the field, gain an advantage in the job market, and make professional contacts. Many General Science majors choose to enrich their educational experience through internships. Information on internship opportunities is available in the General Science office and through the University of Oregon career center.
Career Information Links
- Skills Search Skills Search. Select skills from one or more of the six skill groups below. …
- Career Cluster Browse by Career Cluster. Career Clusters contain occupations in the …
- Bright Outlook Bright Outlook occupations are expected to grow rapidly in the next several …
- Quick Search Quick Search for: cashier. Showing top 20 occupations for cashier. Closest …
- Interests Interests. Preferences for work environments and outcomes. …
- Military Military Crosswalk Search. Search codes or titles from the Military …
- Job Family Browse by Job Family. Job Families are groups of occupations based upon …
- Industry Browse by Industry. Industries are broad groups of businesses or organizations …
University of Oregon Applied Bioinformatics Program The University of Oregon offers a Master’s Degree in biology with a track in bioinformatics that is designed to meet the needs of industry, the medical field, and academic institutions in the new genomic era.
Health Sciences Information Links
UO Health Professions Program
Health Related Scholarship
Minority Association for Pre-Medical Students (MAPS@UO)
Asklepiads University of Oregon Pre-Med Society
Finding Funding and Opportunities
Undergraduate Research Opportunities at the University of Oregon
Undergraduate Research in Biology at the University of Oregon
External Opportunities – Natural Sciences